In for a penny...

I just came across an article from a British newspaper regarding the increasing amount of young women who are in debt, fuelled by peer pressure and “The Lohan Effect” (their words, not mine)…the average debt listed for women between the ages of 20-35 was 25,000 pounds (about $50,000)…that has to be wrong, doesn’t it? It may sound naïve but…I’m shocked.

In case this is coming across as the-pot-calling-the-kettle-black...I do buy a lot BUT a lot of the things that I buy are on sale and if I buy something full price it's in the knowledge that I'll be paying the credit card bill in full when in hits my mailbox (even if that means no lunch for a few weeks). I know that we are part of a society where magazines, television, and, let's face it, blogs are encouraging the objectification of fashionable "things" but, at some point, reality has to intrude.

A favorite quote of mine is from Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City, "I like my money where I can see it...in my closet". If it's my money, it's fine. If it's someone else's, at 20% or so interest, the money can stay in the bank.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...