More of a bang than a wimper

As a Brit living in the US there are a couple of things that I need to find to make the Christmas festivities complete. The first thing is a Cadbury's Christmas assortment...even though you can get them individually it's somehow so much more exciting to open the box, pull out the plastic tray, and decide which chocolate bar will be your next victim.

Next up is a box of Christmas crackers. For those of you unsure about what constitutes a cracker, it's essentially the cardboard tube from inside a roll of toilet paper, wrapped in colorful paper and containing a paper hat, a joke printed on a piece of paper, and some kind of gift (preferably something plastic and incredibly cheesy...like a miniature pair of maracas). A snap device is fed through the cracker so that when it is pulled apart it emits a bang. Good, clean fun that I can usually track down for about $13 a box...so you can imagine my shock when I saw the crackers below on The Conran Shop's site for $95. They're gorgeous (to the point where I couldn't bring myself to pull them apart)...hopefully stuffed with something appropriate to the increased price (though I doubt it)...and temporarily out of stock (there are obviously a lot of people who are willing to pay more than me to alleviate homesickness).

Before anyone says anything...I know...childhood regression...but isn't that what makes the holidays fun?

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 3 comments:

  • Anonymous said...
    12:06 PM
    Suffice it to say that I am certain my lifelong tendency towards delayed gratification stems directly from the fact that, on Christmas morning, my family actually went to Mass before we touched so much as a stocking!
  • Susan B said...
    1:02 PM
    I've purchased Christmas crackers in previous years from either LL Bean or Lands End. You might check their websites. They certainly for less than $95.
  • 7:30 PM
    I didn't know that you don't have crackers in the US, I just assumed everyone had them - duh! Oh, the selection box. My boyfriend's lovely dad came to visit last week and bought me a selection box from the petrol station. I was so happy!!!

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...