Rockin' Robin? No, Boogiein' Budgie.

He rocks in the tree tops all day long
Hoppin' and a-boppin' and singing his song
All the little birdies on Jaybird Street
Love to hear the robin go tweet tweet tweet


The other day I tried, unsuccessfully, to describe a Budgerigar to a friend. I think my lack of success stems from my British explanation of "small blue and yellow birds that old ladies keep in cages in their living rooms" to a bewildered American audience...especially as I've discovered that (according to Wikipedia) they are known in the US as "common pet parakeets"...poor little blighters, instead of being known as 'rather cheerful pet parakeets' they get lumbered with "common"...it's enough to make you choke on your bird seed.

All of which bring me (rather indirectly) to Tatty Devine's budgie brooch and necklace created for artist Susanna Edwards' 'Jayne amongst the birds' exhibition...a recreation of the 1959 East London Budgerigar and Foreign Birds Society's show where the prizes were presented by Jayne Mansfield (let your mind boggle a little while over that one). Regardless (or is it because) of the tenuous connection to Ms. Mansfield I am now lusting over a budgie brooch...

Photobucket

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 1 comments:

  • Elizabeth said...
    8:31 PM
    For years, I sang: "Vacuum cleaner sucks up budgie" right along with the Clash, never knowing what it meant.

    Later, when I found out it was a bird, I was mortified! I thought it meant dirt, or grime. The horror.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...