Here today...gone tomorrow...

Yesterday marked a new entry on my list of “rather expensive handbags that inexplicably decide to cast off their hardware” when...as I picked up my Balenciaga Day in preparation to heading out the door...I heard a metallic ping as one side of the handle came off. Luckily the offending stud was quickly found and, equally fortuitously, I was able to screw it back in place as I sat in the back of a cab. But that’s not really the point, is it?

Especially as this isn’t a lone occurrence by a single designer...the Day joins a Prada shoulder bag with a derailed zipper and a Marc Jacobs’ Venetia whose zipper pull comes off in your hand whenever you...um...pull the zipper (minus ten points on functionality for that little design flaw).

The irritating part of all this...aside from the obvious fact of not getting the level of quality/workmanship that I paid for...is that I’m what I would call a compassionate bag wearer (in that I don’t generally over-stuff them and change bags on a daily/weekly basis)...the mind boggles at what state they'd be in if I treated them badly...

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 3 comments:

  • 12:36 AM
    That is really sad, especially because the designers aim to justify the costs by marketing them as high quality, great workmanship by skilled craftsmen, etc. Clearly, the marketing gimmick is not all that true.

    I did hear that some people have taken their bags back to the designers' boutiques to get them fixed, and they did get fixed. Not sure if that is the norm, though...
  • Glove Slap said...
    4:57 PM
    Whoa, I am shocked! I'd finally decided to bite the bullet and save up for a "really good" bag. What brand do you feel is sturdy? Hebden? Commenters?
  • Hebden said...
    12:41 PM
    S.R.R. - if I'd lost the stud I would have been in touch with Balenciaga ASAP...as I found it I'm just going to spend my time nervously tightening it whenever I use the bag.

    Glove Slap (love your nom de plume by the way) - well, I have an 80's LV Speedy which is a war horse...you can take it out in a rainstorm, throw it across the room, squish it into tiny spaces...and it still looks good. Having said that I know that LV has changed the way they make bags since then and, personally, I don't like the lighter leather that they use on the trim of their newer bags.

    I can also recommend the (for want of a better term) "non-generic" Balenciagas...I have a rectangular, leather, multi-pocket bag that I've used for years now and it's been great. I wonder (probably unfairly) if they churn out the Days, Citys, Works, etc because they sell so well...but the volume results in a lesser product.

    Mayle bags are fantastic...good leather, lined in soft suede...and, as Mayle are shutting their doors, you may be able to find one on sale for a good price.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...