“If you can't answer a man's arguments, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.” - Elbert Hubbard

I have, I'll admit, a rather pedantic need for names to fit the things that they're naming...if the moniker doesn't feel right I have a hard time getting up any enthusiasm for the item in question. So you can imagine my feelings when I received the following in an email from Net-a-Porter...

Photobucket


Now, realistically, I see the merits of the loop scarf...but I find it hard to get past the inherent ugliness of the word snood...or the idea that, come the Fall, cool girls everywhere will be discussing the virtues of snood A over snood B...or that the term snood imparts any sense of luxury.

Am I alone on this one or does anyone else get hung up on names?

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 3 comments:

  • WendyB said...
    6:47 PM
    I don't mind "snood" at all. There are many other words that annoy me more...such as "effortless."
  • Anonymous said...
    6:51 PM
    Snood *is* a particularly ugly word. I'd rather call this a cowl or a smoke-ring, although smoke-ring generally implies something tighter around the head and neck that flares out over the shoulders.
  • Hebden said...
    7:06 PM
    Anon - I've never heard the term smoke-ring used in that way before...but I love it...

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...