"To be successful, keep looking tanned, live in an elegant building (even if you're in the cellar), be seen in smart restaurants (even if you nurse one drink) and if you borrow, borrow big." - Aristotle

I have to ask...who out there is familiar with the term 'American tan tights'? Anyone? I'm secretly hoping for a low response rate as I'd hate to be the only person oblivious to the phrase. Yet as I watched Jess Cartner-Morley's video on The Guardian's website dealing with the (heavy irony warning..."thoroughly relevant and important topic") it took me a minute to realize she was talking about the hideous nude tights that most of us wouldn't be seen dead in.

More than talking about them...suggesting ways to incorporate them into our wardrobes. Did I miss something...or, in the midst of fashion weeks, have we really reached such a grasping-at-straws need for conversational topics?

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 4 comments:

  • 4:45 PM
    When I was young, for a work related reason I cannot remember, I had to wear these things. This happened only once. It was so horrible, and ugly that I vowed to never have to hav eany job that would require me to ever wear these and I have managed that.
  • Jennifer said...
    6:06 PM
    I forgot that some women even wear these things anymore. That is, until I was in a workshop on interviewing for a job that suggested wearing pants so that you don't have to worry about a run in your hose. I've worn skirts with bare legs to many interviews; do you think that's why I haven't been hired yet, that I should be wearing tan hose to catch that job?
  • Hebden said...
    6:23 PM
    Fueling Unicorns - not only do you have one of the greatest nom de plumes...but you make me wonder what job would force these on their employees...

    Jennifer - ah, but what about pants and hose (so that your ankle looks 'tan')...I was once in a work-related seminar (for a job that I am thankfully no longer in) that proffered that little piece of advice.
  • site said...
    8:53 AM
    Thank you for your article, pretty worthwhile material.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...